Here is a list of items that you may not think to pack for deployment that have proven absolutely essential! This is not a comprehensive packing list – it does not include clothing and uniform items for example (but make sure you have all of the pieces for your various uniforms and you know exactly which uniforms you may need!!) Also, this list is based on my experience deploying onboard ships so if you are going to be land-based, some of these may not apply.
- Mattress pad
- Blankets, comforter, your own pillow
- Stuffed animal (check out my upcoming blog post titled “Stuffed Animals…and the Lord’s Supper!”)
- Pictures of family and friends
- Some sort of closet organizing system
- Lights, fabric, favorite knick knacks that fit in small places! Though you will probably have very little personal space, try to make it colorful and fun!
- Book light and extra batteries
- Ear plugs / hearing protection
- Sleep mask
- Extra hangers
- A couple Tupperware containers and utensil sets
- Dish soap to clean Tupperware, water bottles, etc.
- Cleaning supplies (lysol wipes, broom)
- Laundry bag and detergent
- Insoles for boots
- Drier sheets and/or baby powder to help your boots not smell so much!
- Click on / battery powered light for inside your closet (for when you have watch in the middle of the night and your roomies are still sleeping)
- Fun calendar
- A comfy folding chair (if you have space) – usually the chairs in your room are super uncomfortable!
- Shower caddie
- Shower flip flops
- “Emergency kit” – band aids, medicine, vitamins, Emergenc-C, etc.
- A couple bottles each of your favorite shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, handsoap, etc
- Your own towel in a bright color
- Lots of sermons and podcasts on an audio device
- Lots of music options, small portable speaker if you have one
- Good headphones (Bluetooth AND regular headphones in case you can’t always use Bluetooth due to operations)
- Yoga mat
- Small towels for the gym
- A couple of water bottles and coffee mugs
- Lots of layers of clothing for under your uniforms in case it gets cold or you travel somewhere cold
- Kindle (better space saving solution than a bunch of books – I still usually end up bringing a couple of books too though)
- Charger adapters for different foreign countries
- Tons of hair ties, bobby pins and pens! These three things always seemed to disappear for me…
- Favorite foods, kcups, tea, hot chocolate and popcorn!
- Gum and mints
- Small boardgames, deck of cards, art supplies, magazines
- Flashlight with red light
- Safety glasses
Did I forget anything? Please leave a comment!
Post by Brynn Gray